Castle built as a hunting lodge with extensive deer park, Archaeological remains of extensive and complex C17 formal gardens. Possibly England’s earliest baroque garden. C17 walled kitchen garden survives. Estate in continuous occupation by the Weld family since 1641. C19 landscaping with lake c1850 with the Fort, a folly, on its NW shore. Open most days throughout the year (but not normally Sats); see website for details of times and prices.